Sunday, March 4, 2012


Wednesday, February 8, 2012


Justin Orndorff
Deviant I am? Labeling theory conflict theory

How am I deviant?  Well considering that I have five kids, a job, and full-time schooling there are many corners that I have to cut in order just to survive.  Many of these so called corners that I have to cut many may consider to be deviant.  And as I read through the different theories of deviance in the book I am in fact deviant as hell.  I speed like there’s no tomorrow just to get from place to place. Picking the kids up from school, getting to school or work on time can be next to impossible to say the least.  Howard Becker describes deviance “as the infraction of some agreed-upon rule.”  Well if that’s the case where do I begin?  I speed, I’m a little over weight, I am a smoker, I live with my girlfriend and we are not married. (1)
            John Braithwaite says “The best place to see reintegrative shamming at work is in loving families….Family life teaches us that shamming and punishment are possible while maintaining bonds of respect.” I work at the Department of Licensing (DOL) and many of the older women I work with disapprove of me living with my girlfriend while were are not yet married.  We both have children from previous relationships. So how can I maintain respect at work while im being judged or shammed at work for living with my girlfriend (unmarried)? (1)
            Myself being a smoker, am I deviant?  I can’t smoke 50 feet from any public entrances.  Back in the day when I was a child you were allowed to smoke on airplanes, in restaurants, etc.  Why now are there laws prohibiting smokers from so many places?  Is it for health reasons?  Why has time affected society’s view on smoking as being deviant?
            Edwin H. Sutherland and Donald R. Cressey both describe the Differential Association Theory as a violation of the law or a learned criminal behavior.  So if im 10 feet outside of a building smoking when your supposed to be 25 feet away from the doorim breaking the law in their view, therefore portraying me as a deviant member of society.  What if its pouring down rain and I need to have a smoke and if I stand 25 feet away from the doorway to have my smoke I get soaking wet, then I get sick, then I have to miss work, which in turn reduces my pay check to rubble, which prevents me from buying gas or feeding my kids or making rent.  Then what?  Should I be so concerned with what others might consider deviant?  Ill go ahead and answer that “hell no.”(1) (2) (3)

(1)    Thio, Alex, Thomas C. Calhoun, and Addrain Conyers. Readings in Deviant Behavior. 6th ed. Boston: Pearson Education, 2010. Print.


   

No comments:

Post a Comment